Saturday, September 11, 2010

How this blog started...

Of course, I want to write about how this blog came about...  The first few words that come to mind are: creativity overflow.

A few weeks ago, I decided I wanted to bring an idea to life.  I want to cook for others, but not only as a past-time, but as a daily occupation.  I never dreamed of being a caterer, I never dreamed of working in a restaurant either (although sometimes, I would trade a lot to be able to own my own restaurant).  But I adore cooking.  I love the idea of pleasing people with food.  It might even be a little egocentric on my part.  I love seeing people eat and the very idea of feeding people turns me on, in the proper sense of the term.

So the idea of Haute Cuisine To-Go came to life.  How could I cook for people, make them discover that real food, "cooked from scratch", was something they could feed their lives of, even if they themselves detested cooking or simply did not have the time to do so?  I decided I would become a recipe-maker.  Plainly.  I would challenge people to submit a recipe to me, something they had wanted to taste for a while, something they saw on the Food Network, or in Bon Appétit...  Something that made them want to really stay in, open some wine, and enjoy the pleasure of a home-cooked meal, without having to spend 3 hours of their precious time cooking.  Because let's face it, we are less and less inclined to do so, and the market is now satisfying the needs of the masses with aisles and aisles of already-prepared meals and boxed food.

But I also think that our health resides in that very scary "home-cooked meal".  We hear about organic, local, seasonal, cage-free, free-range, etc., but if we just started eating fresh and home-cooked meals more, as a society, we would observe tremendous change.

So today, I want to first declare my love of food.  This blog will be a work-in-progress.  Some type of everyday creative journal, about what I cook, what I create, what I feel about it all.  It will be very personal and quite possibly boring for most of you.  But if one day I cook for you, you will know how that love of cooking came about.

No comments:

Post a Comment