Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Results and the Next Challenge - Day 3

Yesterday was the Mixed Vegetable and Farro Soup, a recipe from Eataly's vegetable counter.  The recipe is vegan, and it's too bad, but it made the vegan food's bad reputation become true, at least for one night.  Here's the DL:

So the soup is quite easy to make, not too much active time, however, it is tasteless.  I followed the directions to the letter, until my final taste, where I added wayyyy more fresh basil, and more salt and pepper.

However, surprise, surprise, when I had a bowl for lunch today, probably because the ingredients blended overnight, it was quite tolerable.  I can even say that it slowly grows on you!

Mixed Vegetable and Farro Soup

As for my main course, I cooked the Chicken Scarpariello.  That dish, on the other hand, was a complete success!  So easy to whip up, so tasty, it reminds me of a Kotopoulo me Dendrolivano recipe I make all the time.  When you compare the taste and the technique behind both recipes, you can really feel the Mediterranean influence.  The chicken was so tender, the sauce rich and creamy and use of the jarred Peppadew peppers makes it a wonderful weeknight recipe.  It is however extremely suitable for company.

One tip I can give you though is to form the thighs in little packets by folding the ends under the front part before placing in the hot oil.  This way, you have a great finished product and the thighs retain their juices while cooking.  Oh and I want to add that I made the recipe in advance, put in a 200-degree oven and served approximately 1 hour later, and it was perfect!  I am including the recipe here:

Chicken Scarpariello
  • 8 small skinless, boneless chicken thighs (2 pounds)
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • All-purpose flour, for dusting
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 8 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise and lightly smashed
  • 4 large rosemary sprigs, broken into 2-inch pieces
  • 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup Peppadew peppers or other pickled peppers, sliced
  1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust with flour. In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the chicken and cook over high heat, turning once, until browned and crusty on both sides, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and rosemary and cook for 3 minutes, until the garlic is lightly browned. Transfer the chicken to a platter, leaving the rosemary and garlic in the skillet. 
  2. Add the stock to the skillet and cook over high heat, scraping up any browned bits, until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and butter and swirl until emulsified. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet. Add the peppers and cook, turning the chicken until coated in the sauce, about 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken and sauce to the platter and serve. 
Source: Food & Wine, October 2010 (or at http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chicken-scarpariello)

Chicken Scarpariello

On the menu tonight: Easy Short Ribs Braised in Red Wine.  I am a huge fan of short ribs, so this recipe was calling my name from the start.  It is on the stove right now, and the whole condo smells amazing.  I love slow-cooking meat in red wine, a lot of red wine.  The recipe again is very easy to put together, easy enough for someone who doesn't cook.  More details on the taste tomorrow.

Until next time, bon appétit!

2 comments:

  1. CONGRATS MY DEAR FRIEND!!!!!! I can't wait to hear about the short rib taste test tomorrow and get the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking forward to understand how to make or to understand what's in Mixed Vegetable and Farro Soup. Dunk

    ReplyDelete