Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sucre à la crème... Or little sugar squares!

Ohhhhh so good are these little French Canadian treats!  You can literally translate "sucre à la crème" for "creamy sugar", however, the Office québécois de la langue française uses the term "maple fudge".  There are in fact recipes that call for the use of maple syrup.  Maybe I will try one of those.


Anyway, from as far as I can remember, sucre à la crème has always been a special treat, available at special occasions, like during the Holidays, or if you were really lucky, your grandma or great-aunt would have some handy at all times.  For this reason, I always thought they were so difficult to make.  My mom would make some once in a while, and they would disappear in a matter of hours if she did not keep an eye on me.  I almost forgot about them when I moved to the States, until I made my own.


It is not hard or complex to make, it is just time-consuming and hard on the arms (if you make the recipe, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about!).  There are as many recipes as there are grandmas, some recipes have even been adapted for the microwave.  I however prefer the old-fashion way, requiring a thermometer and a dose of patience.  Here is my foolproof recipe:


Classic "Sucre à la crème"

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2/3 cup cream 10%
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped (optional)
  1. In a small heavy saucepan, mix the sugar, brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Install a candy thermometer on the side of the saucepan, ensuring it doesn't touch the bottom, but that the tip is well immersed in the mixture. Let boil, undisturbed, until the thermometer registers 236°F (113°C).
  2. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the butter and vanilla (do not stir) and let cool down until the thermometer registers 110°F (43°C), about 45 minutes.
  3. Remove the thermometer from the saucepan. With a clean wooden spoon, stir heavily non-stop for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mix starts to lose its gloss. Add the nuts or pecans if using and mix well.
  4. Immediately spread the mixture into an 8in x 4in mold, covered with parchment paper (ensure you smooth the top). With the tip of a knife, trace lines on top of the mixture in order to obtain 32 squares. Refrigerate at least an hour. With a very sharp knife, cut in squares.
  5. (You can keep the squares in between parchment paper sheets in a hermetic container. They will keep for 2 days at room temperature, 2 weeks in the fridge and up to 2 months in the freezer.)

If you decide to make the recipe, please let me know what you think.  If you prefer to salivate over it, and want to still taste them, I am adding them to my menu for Haute Cuisine To-Go, so please send me an email to hautecuisinetogo@gmail.com to place an order.  Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment